Sunday 22 December 2013

Photographers (part 2)

As part of my ongoing investigation into the work of other documentary photographers I have spent a significant amount of time on the web.

For some time I have been a 'follower' of LensWork a photography magazine and blog by an American photographer called Brooks Jensen. All of the work featured in the magazine is B&W, apart from that there are no restrictions! The quality of the production is second to none - the artists, the essays and the images are truly inspiring.

When I say follower, I don't actually subscribe to the magazine because I find the magazines (and the format of the work exhibited) samey.  So I review the contents of the magazines and if I'm interested any of the artists, I will buy that/those particular month(s).

I also have ebook by Jensen, The Creative Life in Photography. The book contains a number of essays originally printed in the LenWork magazine and charts Jensen's progress through his photographic life - this is not a book about how-to-do, more a book on how-to-rethink. Again, I very much dip and out of this, but it is an interesting and thought provoking read.

I was reading an interview with Jensen and was struck by his comment:
Good art is rarely made by dolts who are disorganised, numb, or unthinking. The mad genius is a popular myth in art circles, but more often than not the best artists are the ones who work the hardest for the longest time, pushing themselves and their craft with diligence and dedication. No one ever talks about the “instantaneously successful” or “lucky” violinist — and to think this can be true about photographers is a delusion.
 I have heard this 'concept' paraphrased in lots of different ways and it doesn't matter what you do (work or hobbie) to be good at something takes continued effort. My favourite quote is by Samuel Goldwyn:
The harder I work, the luckier I get.
Interestingly, this interview was a 'mixtape' on the Lenscratch website. This is a fantastic website and worth spending time browsing. From the 'about' on the site:
LENSCRATCH is a daily journal that explores contemporary photography and offers opportunities for exposure and community. Created in 2007, Aline Smithson set a goal of writing about a different photographer each day, presenting work in a way that allows for a deeper understanding of a photographer’s intent and vision.
I only found this site last week and from my visits so far I would say Smithson comfortably delivers her objective.

No comments:

Post a Comment