Sunday 5 January 2014

Assignment 1 - short commentary


Short commentary

A generic project title of 'Markets' was agreed, with the caveat that it was not just 10 photographs of stalls and stall holders. My initial research was to clarify what constituted a typical market image, I then spent time at various markets watching all activities from stall erecting in the morning through until stall dismantling in the evening. Unfortunately, this just confirmed that I took typical market images and so I needed to develop a different angle.

After a chance conversation with a busker, I found my angle - converse with the stall holders to collect their new years resolutions (NYR).

In the first section of this course we have debated 'what makes a document?', the output being: context. As such I have developed a set of images that have two common themes - markets and NYR, thus providing for the viewer a clear context for the portfolio. To add further to the context, I have also titled each of these images with the name (or nickname) of the individual and dated them 2014.

During these conversations people really opened up and discussed their private lives, with the exception of Kenny who's very proud of being clean, I have not included private information on the documents.

Documents to follow, post feedback from my tutor.


No comments:

Post a Comment