Monday 20 January 2014

Further thoughts on Assignment 1

For my assignment I took a series of portraits of stall holders and buskers from my local market.
The title (and theme) for the series was 'New Years Resolutions' and as such I added the resolutions as text at the bottom of the photograph.

My images were submitted to my tutor in portrait format and in colour, however, since completing this assignment and having had time to just think about it, I'm not at all sure this was the best option.


Original format



Better option in hindsight
 

I have changed:
  • The orientation from portrait to landscape
  • Converted the images to B&W and added grain
  • Changed the font from Papyrus to Courier New
As a result I think the images have lost that 'snapshot' look and moved more towards the images you would find in the tabloid newspapers. Using this format I think they have developed a more formal documentary feel about them.

What was the question we were asked - "why has B&W become such a respected and trusted medium in documentary?" Whilst I can't say I didn't 'trust' these images, I feel now that they look more authentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment