Sunday 24 November 2013

Assignment 1 planning (part 3)

Investigating the market images found on the web…

There are numerous images, but they tend to be limited in terms of presentation and imagination. Please don’t think I am inferring that the images a bad in any way, on the contrary, some are quite stunning.

In addition, I feel a bit “pot calling the kettle” because my existing market images are effectively the same. Referring back to my tutors email images of market stalls and stall holders will not suffice for a level 2 course; so, how do I "push my images further"?

I was at the gym last week and watching music videos, I say watching because I left my headphones at home – big mistake. Nonetheless, it was interesting, because I actually watched the videos (probably for the first time) and the lack of sound created a very different experience. For the first time I had to make sense of the videos with only the song title and the artist or groups name. One of the new videos was Go Gentle by Robbie Williams and I was fascinated by the way the director used slow-motion to emphasize what was happening.

Having now listened to the video, I can honestly say I didn’t come close to guessing what it was about; but the video does very cleverly support the lyrics. However, I’m still not quite sure about the pirate ship or the captain’s outfit…

Also thinking about photography in terms of speed, documentary and pushing the boundaries – I was reminded of the Eadweard Muybridge galloping horse experiment and whilst it wasn’t slowed video it was movement captured by a rapid sequence of still images. Quite revolutionary in its time and absolutely accepted as documentary evidence that a horse does have all four feet of the ground when galloping.

Why am I talking about this? I suppose it relates back to Exercise 3 and Jose’s question about what makes a document. Inevitably, context and meaning were going to come into the discussion as well as the key question about whether a single image can stand alone as a document. Each time I think about this I find myself reverting back to the definition of ‘a document’.

George Georgiou (British photojournalist) has had numerous exhibitions and regularly presents two images on a single page - see The Shadow of The Bear. Interestingly, these images are not necessarily sequential or even immediately related, but support the photo-essay in GG way of conveying the information.

Going back to the Robbie Williams video, I find a degree of similarity between some of the slow-motion clips and the Turks 1 exhibition photographs.

Historically, the best images I have taken (feedback from previous tutors) are the images that make the viewer think. These have tended to be images with a number of possibly related, or possibly not related, activities happening within the images – hence the requirement to think. Normally, my images have titles and captions as part of my write up for assignment submission, thus my context is provided by me for my images; the viewer can then use or ignore this information at an individual level.

I’m not quite sure why I’m obsessing over this, perhaps too much philosophy and contemplation? Since this is a documentary course, do my images for this assignment need to be more poignant than anything I’ve done before? Back to my tutor’s feedback and ‘image pushing’ so the answer must be yes. Time for more obsessing…


No comments:

Post a Comment