Sunday 17 November 2013

Magnum In Motion

As part of my investigation into the development of documentary photography, I decided to look at the Magnum website to gain insight into one of the best know collectives of excellent documentary photographers and photojournalists.

I found Magnum In Motion - home to some of the best photo essays, what an eye opener...

What is a photo essay?

This is my take from the essays I have watched.
  • Photographs of every conceivable type - colour and B&W; sharp and blurred; close-up and distant (almost impossible to make out); every subject matter.
  • Narration - this appears to be personal choice. It could be the photographer; the crowd or even voice over clips from the archive.
  • Music - background music seems to be a requirement, especially if there is not narration. Music does not have to be a know 'tune', but a mixture of the most appropriate noise that fits the sequence of images in the essay.
Listed below are some of my favourites:
  1. The East was Tugging at My Soul by and about Marilyn Silverstone
  2. Playas by Martin Parr
  3. No Whisper, No Sigh by the Magnum Group

I think the most consistent element to these essays is the conceptual thinking, the attention to detail when considering how everything will hang together to create the desired effect - ensure the correct story is told.

I sincerely recommend this site to anybody studying this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment