Sunday 17 November 2013

Transparent Pictures by Kendall L Walton (part 3)

Continuing on...

I believe Walton's ideas about transparency can be discussed using these two extracts:

  1. "[...] photography is a supremely realistic medium [...]" 
  2. "Dissenters note how unlike reality a photograph is and how unlikely we are to confused one with the other."
Simply, Walton theory is "because a photograph is created by a mechanical process, 'people' believe it tells the truth without skew or influence inferred by the photographer". Herein lies the lack of transparency misunderstood by the layperson. Adding weight to his theory, he introduces statements from photographers who understand how open to interpretation and influence photographs are and utilise this freedom to create their pictures.

To clarify, Walton accepts that art (painting) could be perceived to be very realistic but is understood by the viewer to be 'art' and therefore not expected to tell the 'truth' - it can legitimately be the artists 'take' on the truth.

Walton then pushes further claiming that because of the realism of photography; regardless of subject matter e.g. unicorns; the viewer is conned, confused and deluded into believing that they are seeing not a photograph, but the real thing.

So, as to my views...

I agree with Walton that there is a transparency 'issue' and a lack of understanding (generally) regarding the ability of a photograph/photographer to skew the truth. I also agree with Walton's claim that "we see, quite literally, our dead relatives themselves" in photographs.

However, I cannot subscribe to his philosophical debate about the confusion people suffer regarding seeing the object rather than the image of the object. When I look at my ancestors, I see a realistic likeness of my ancestors; similarly, when I see myself, I see my likeness. I do not believe that hold my ancestors, or myself, or my dog or my house in my hand. Nor do I believe that the photograph captured anything other than a fleeting moment in time - I don't believe that my ancestor is still sitting in the chair or that my dog is still on his walk.

I believe, Walton like many other philosophers, likes to manipulate and twist the words of others; and also stretch and modify the definition of words; to enable and create debate. QED: "Photographs are transparent. We see the world through them." Also see "Photographic Pictures" ref: Walton's comments on words used by Roger Scruton regarding photographs and representation.
Finally...
Attached is a photograph of my scribbled notes on my copy of Walton's paper about transparent pictures. My copy still looks like this, covered with blue ink and highlighted in green marker, however, it's no longer strewn across my desk, it's neatly collected and inserted into my OCA file. That's my OCA file, it's just to the left of the paper you can just make out the 'A', interestingly enough it's in exactly the same position now... Or is it?
My scribbled thoughts and questions about Walton's theories and questions.



No comments:

Post a Comment